Overseas Student Health Cover


What You Need To Know

The Department of Home Affairs requires all international students to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover [OSHC] for you to be granted a Student Visa. The only exceptions apply if students hold citizenship from countries that have reciprocal healthcare arrangements with Australia [such as New Zealand, Sweden, Norway and Belgium].

If you do not provide the Department of Home Affairs with your OHSC policy number, your visa application will be declined.

You also need to ensure that you have the required length of cover for the entire duration of your student visa. This includes any time you plan to spend in Australia once you finish studying. If your OSHC policy expires, the Department of Home Affairs will automatically cancel your student visa.

Some important points, as follows:

  • Your OHSC policy must be in effect from the time of your arrival to Australia [not the date when the course starts] and until  your student visa expires [when you leave Australia]. Additionally, you must ensure that there isn’t a gap in your coverage if you are also studying a second course with another institution.
  • Any OSHC provider that isn’t approved by the Australian Department of Health will not meet the OSHC criteria for securing a student visa.
  • You have the right to choose from any of the OSHC providers that have an agreement with the Australian Department of Health. AAON can provide further assistance if required.
  • Your OSHC will help pay costs for hospital and medical treatments while you’re studying in Australia, and it will contribute towards the cost of most prescription medicines and ambulance costs, however, other ancillary costs such as dental, optical and physiotherapy will not be covered. For this reason, it is important that you understand the entire policy’s terms and conditions.

Before you purchase your OHSC from your intended provider, you should first secure a copy of their product disclosure statement.

To help you decide which OSHC policy is right for you, please visit the following websites, as follows:

If you are requiring additional OSHC coverage to pay for a variety of ancillary treatments, services or elective surgery [only emergency is covered], you will need to purchase private health insurance and choose the one that best suits your requirements.

You can find out more about OSHC by visiting: